Unleash the Power of Employee Engagement
By Jacob Espinoza
Let’s look at 10 tips to help you skyrocket your employee engagement and help your team become THE PLACE people want to thrive.
Here is the challenge with lists like these, it’s easy to read through, decide you’ve already seen it all, and get back to business as usual.
Here is what I want you to do instead.
- Look through this list and give yourself a score of 0-10 on each idea.
- Be honest about what’s going well and what could be better. We all have things we are doing well and room for improvement.
- Next, share the list with your team and ask them to give a score from 0-10.
- Ask them to elaborate on what is going well and what changes would be the most helpful.
Remember, any time you get feedback. It’s important not to get defensive in the moment.
Instead, be curious and grateful that someone on your team is willing to be candid with you. (It’s not always easy to give feedback to your boss!)
You also want to be sure not to make commitments in the moment. Let the team know you are speaking with everyone and want to give everyone a chance to share before moving forward with changes.
After you’ve taken the time to listen:
- Be sure to follow up with the team.
- Thank them for the feedback.
- Let them know the changes they can expect because of it.
Just because they have feedback doesn’t mean you are not doing a good job. We all have room for growth. Listen for the small changes you can make that can have a big impact.
I’m going to personally run through this checklist with my team this week, and I know for sure we have a long way to go with a lot of the items on the list.
Great leaders understand the value of including their team in idea generation and execution.
Your team is the heart of your business and will be more invested in the things they help create.
So let’s dive in and help them shine!
- Crystal Clear Goals: Set the bar high from day one. Start with SMART goals during the onboarding process and keep updating them every quarter. Make sure each team member knows exactly what’s expected of them.
- Feedback = Growth: Regular check-ins and six-month performance reviews are key. Be honest, be fair, and always recognize hard work. It’s how we learn, grow, and crush it in the long run.
- Level Up Your Team: Allocate an annual budget for professional development. Bring in experts for barista workshops, customer service seminars, or cross-training sessions. Stay ahead of the game!
- Work-Life Balance Matters: Flexible schedules can be a game-changer. Show your team you care about their well-being and encourage them to take breaks and time off when needed. Happy employees are productive employees!
- Positive Vibes Only: Team meetings and monthly team-building activities create a winning atmosphere. Keep communication open and foster a tight-knit team that supports each other through thick and thin.
- Empowerment is 🔑: Make your employees a part of the decision-making process. Brainstorm menu changes, store layouts, and promotional events together. When they feel ownership, they’ll go the extra mile.
- Competitive Compensation: Do your homework on industry wages and benefits and ensure you’re offering a competitive package. Incentives like bonuses and tips go a long way in keeping your team motivated.
- Career Pathways: Map out career paths for your team members, and offer training and support to help them reach new heights. A clear path to growth creates loyalty and drive.
- Feedback Loop: Keep your door open for feedback and conduct anonymous surveys twice a year. Listen and act on the insights you receive to make your coffee shop the best it can be.
- Celebrate Milestones: Don’t forget to recognize achievements and celebrate your team’s success. Small gestures make a big difference in creating a positive, motivated work environment.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on these tips or any questions you might have. Hit reply or reach out to me on Twitter or LinkedIn and let’s chat!