Hospitalogy Choice Awards 2022
By Blake Madden
As we make our way through the holiday season, I hope you’re finding some rest entering 2023. This post is focused on my favorite read content from other healthcare creators and sites, then we’ll top it off with my top performing pieces from the year!
Join 12,500+ executives and investors from leading healthcare organizations including HCA, Optum, and Tenet, nonprofit health systems including Providence, Ascension, and Atrium, as well as leading digital health firms like Tia, Carbon Health, and Aledade by subscribing here!
Hospitalogy Choice Awards 2022: My picks for the top healthcare content this year
Here are my picks for the best of healthcare content in 2022 (in no particular order) and my favorite healthcare reads. If you have a great piece that deserves to be recognized, let me know on Twitter.
1. The Failed Promise of Online Mental-Health Treatment
2. All of the main problems with US healthcare
3. The Future of Natural Language Processing in Healthcare
4. Should care delivery models be venture backed?
5. The Changing World of Life Sciences R&D
6. Healthcare’s Labor Challenges are Here to Stay
7. The Reckoning: What Happens to Digital Health After COVID?
8. Digital Therapeutics (DTx) in primary care
9. Building to care for the modern family
10. Tech-enabled Primary Care
Honorable Mention: Hospitalogy Choice awards 2022
- Healthcare Vertical Integration: Back to the Future (Lumeris)
- The Biggest Company in the World (a16z)
- Getting to Conviction in Health Tech (Long on Humanity)
- Cerebral: Vastly Exceeding the Standard of Care? (The Frontier Psychiatrists)
- Private Equity Gloats Over a Doctor Glut (The Lever)
- Zach Miller’s series on End-stage renal disease (The Post-Op)
- A Treatment for America’s Healthcare Worker Burnout (Bain)
- Buzzy startups failed to fix mental-health care. Now their mistakes are fueling the space’s next generation. (Business Insider – Paywall)
- In Defense of Not-for-Profit Healthcare (Kaufman Hall)
- The Shopify for Digital Health (Health Tech Stack)
- Health Equity For All: How Digital Health Can Revolutionize Care for Underserved Healthcare Consumers (7wireVentures)
- Rise of the Digital Enablement Tech Stack (Sapphire Ventures)
- The Scheduling Conundrum (Health Tech Stack)
- Johnson & Johnson and a New War on Consumer Protection (New Yorker)
- How Abbott Kept Sick Babies from Becoming a Scandal (NY Times)
- The rise of Polypharmacy (NY Times)
- Hackers have laid siege to U.S. health care and a tiny HHS office is buckling under the pressure (Politico)
- The Crisis Facing Nursing Homes, Assisted Living and Home Care for America’s Elderly (Politico)
- Coming of Age…Tech (Will Richardson)
- Completely new markets and what to build for them (Out of Pocket)
- Benchmarks for Growing Health Tech businesses (Bessemer)
Now onto my favorite essays from the year!
Breaking Down Care Platforms
My investment thesis for MSO enablement platforms – one of my earliest essays!
Synthetic Data in Healthcare
The most enjoyable piece for me to write! Syntegra and Synthetic Data: Solving Healthcare’s Data Problem where I worked closely with the Syntegra team (not sponsored) to understand how synthetic data is a gamechanger in healthcare.
My favorite deal breakdowns: Amazon – One Medical, which seemed to make its way through the health tech world, and how hospital mergers are evolving in the new macro environment: New-Age Health System Mergers Part 1 and Part 2
My two-part series with the best clickbait titles I’ve managed on here on the evolution of the hospital model: Is the Hospital Dying? and The Hospital Needs to Evolve.
Insurtechs vs Incumbents
My slightly steamy essay on why the new insurtech startups like Oscar, Clover, and Bright have struggled to compete with the incumbent titans of the health insurance industry and why scale matters in healthcare. Insurtechs vs. Incumbents
That’s it for this week! Join 12,500+ executives and investors from leading healthcare organizations including HCA, Optum, and Tenet, nonprofit health systems including Providence, Ascension, and Atrium, as well as leading digital health firms like Tia, Carbon Health, and Aledade by subscribing here!